The student becomes aware of the interaction between man and nature in his / her environment. The course-specific learning objectives are as follows:
MAN AND HEALTH 2 cr.
- The student masters the basics of the structure, functioning and nutrition of the human organism.
- The student understands the significance of the living environment to human health.
- The student is aware of the modes of response to diverse environmental irritants in the human organism.
CULTURAL IMPACTS ON THE ENVIRONMENT 2 cr.
- The student understands the influences of rural and urban culture to the Finnish cultural landscape.
- The student knows the foundations of Finnish cultural heritage together with the practical measures for its protection and preservation.
ECOLOGICAL FARMING 1 cr.
- The student masters the basics of organic farming: the planning of rotation as well as the essential methods of fertilization, plant protection and horticultural plant cultivation, and understands the environmental impacts of farming.
- The student masters the basics of composting.
- The student is familiar with the systems of control and subsidies related to organic farming.
- The student masters the basics of domestic garden cultivation.
LAND USE AND PLANNING 3 cr.
- The student has a food command of the hierarchy of land use planning, the different stages of the planning process and is able to apply this information to practical projects.
ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT ASSESSMENT, EIA 3 cr.
- The student is familiar with the environmental impact assessment procedure based on EIA-legislation and knows how to implement the contents of the act. The student also masters the Natura network assessment procedure as stated in the nature conservation act as well as the groundwork of legislation in assessment procedure and knows how to apply these in practice.
- The student has an understanding of culture-induced changes in the natural environment and is able to promote sustainable development in environmental planning by means of land use and planning.